If you care for an adult in Birmingham and caring has a major impact on your life, you can talk to Birmingham Carers Hub about the help and support you may need. This is called a carer’s assessment which Birmingham Carers Hub undertakes on behalf of the Birmingham City Council. This can happen even if the adult you care for is unwilling to accept help.
To work out what support would be most helpful, we need to consider:
- What help the person you care for needs
- What help you are providing or you intend to provide (for example, when the person you care for is discharged from hospital)
- What help you require to maintain your caring role
- What help Birmingham Carers Hub and other organisations may provide including Birmingham City Council
- Your wish to work, undertake training/education or leisure activities.
Your assessment gives you the chance to discuss your needs.
You should also be able to contribute to the discussion of the needs of the person you care for so your needs are taken into account when planning services or options for them.
If the person you care for is not receiving any care services, they may benefit from having their own assessment. You can arrange this by contacting Birmingham City Council on Telephone: 0121 303 1234 Or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org