Our Young Adult Carers Service (YAC) can offer free help and advice for those aged between 18 and 25 and caring for someone in Birmingham. This service is delivered by YMCA Sutton Coldfield and can offer tailored personalised support for Young Adult Carers in transition, supporting them with current and future aspirations.
If you support a family member with a disability, illness or addiction, we can help you reach your full potential. We offer:
- Information and advice to support you and your family
- A specialised Carer’s Assessment to identify support you need
- Regular groups and drop-ins
- CV writing, employment opportunities and workshops to improve skills
- Flexible one to one meetings with a key worker
- Group work workshops
- Respite events, activities and residential trips and to socialise outside of your caring role, meet other Young Adult Carers and gain new experiences
- Take part in peer support and online groups
- Weekly youth clubs (for Young Carers under the age of 18)
- Support for social, emotional and educational needs
Relieve stress and isolation
Signpost to relevant services needed
- Undertake FREE online training
Contact YMCA Sutton Coldfield
NEW training courses for unpaid carers aged 19 and over
Through a partnership through PeoplePlus, Birmingham Carers Hub can now offer additional free training courses to young adult carers aged 19 and over. The training on offer is designed to fit into your caring role, you can study flexibly online or via distance learning with the support of a tutor once a week for drop-in sessions. The flexibility of the courses allows you to train around your current caring commitments while keeping your work-related skills up to date.
If you have never been in paid employment, then our free training courses can help you gain new skills. PeoplePlus offers free consultations in a one-to-one meeting to talk about what you enjoy doing, career advisors are on hand to offer information and guidance as well as providing links with local employers who offer guaranteed interviews on programme completion.
If you are an unpaid carer, aged 19 or over living in the Birmingham or Solihull area and you are unemployed, or earn less than £17,000 per annum you are eligible to apply.
To see what courses are available, just click here.
To sign-up for one of these free courses, just complete this form.