It doesn’t matter which way you voted and it doesn’t matter if it gets delayed again.

This isn’t about hoarding and it isn’t about depriving other people, it’s about making sure that your family has one less thing to think about – it’s the same as planning for a bad winter when you could be stuck in the house.  We don’t know what the government and the supermarkets have stockpiled and we don’t know whether there will be any issues getting goods into the country or how long that might last.

But, unlike winter, we have a date and it’s Thursday, 31st October 2019.

So here’s a reminder of some of the things that carers in Birmingham might need to think about:


Think about how many days medication you’ve already got.  If you’re due to run out before Thursday 31st October, make sure that you request a prescription, get it filled and collected.

If anyone in the family has repeat prescriptions, make sure they’re made up and collected before Thursday 31st October.


If someone in your family has a particular, or narrow diet, think about how many meals you’ve already got in the house.  Although they may have their favourites, just think about a few things that could be substituted.  If you’re not sure, ask your GP before Thursday 31st October.


The same goes for any pet medication and special diets.  Talk to your vet.


Benefits, Direct Payments  and Personal Health Budgets should be unaffected by Brexit.

Holidays & short breaks:

If you’re back in the UK on Thursday 31st October, then we hope you had a great break!

If you’re still away on Thursday 31st October or are going abroad after that date here are a couple of things to consider:

  • Firstly, European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC – which used to be called E11) will no longer be valid for health cover if the UK leaves the EU without an agreement.  So, before you go on holiday, think about arranging your own travel insurance.  However, unlike EHICs, travel insurance probably won’t cover you for illnesses you already have. This means it’s important to tell your insurer if you have any health problems. If they can’t cover you, they should recommend a specialist insurance company that can.
  • Secondly, check how many months you’ve got left on your passport.  If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, you might have to renew your passport if you have less than 6 months on it when you travel. It will depend on which countries you’re travelling to. You can check if your passport will be valid for your trip on GOV.UK.

After Brexit, you will not need a visa for short trips, according to European Commission proposals. You could stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, or to work or study.

If you’re driving you may need extra documents after Thursday 31st October, such as:

  • an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries. Check if you need one on the Post Office website.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you’ll also need:

  • a ‘green card’ – allow 1 month to get this from your vehicle insurance company; and
  • a “GB” sticker.

So, have a word with your car insurer before you go and make sure that you’re up to date with the latest advice.

If you’ve taken your pet with you (or your Guide Dog), you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme after Thursday 31st October.  Instead you’ll need to follow a different process, which takes 4 months!

Follow the guidance about pet travel to Europe after Brexit.  And, talk to your vet and consider whether you need to take your pet at this time of uncertainty.

After Brexit, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.  Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get after 31 October 2019.

A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing.  Once you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad. Your phone operator will tell how you can do this.


The current rights of EU citizens in the UK and their family members will remain unchanged until 31st December 2020. To be able to carry on living in the UK after that date, it will be necessary to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to enjoy ongoing rights to healthcare, work, benefits and public services.

If someone in your family:

they will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme so that they can continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.  If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, they will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU to apply (currently Thursday 31st October 2019). The deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.

Care and support you pay for:

Each local authority has asked care providers in its area to inform it of how many European Union (EU) nationals they employ.  This may not be an immediate issue at the end of October, but it’s one to be aware of.  The Government has created an EU Settlement Scheme so that EU nationals can continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.  Many people will want to continue living here, but some may not.

CAG – 26/09/19