On 18 September 2020, the Department for Health and Social Care published the Adult Social Care Winter Plan which included a commitment to provide free Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to all adult social care services including Carers for all Covid-19 needs until 30 June 2021.
If you provide unpaid care to a friend, neighbour, or family member who couldn’t manage alone and this person needs your help due to frailty, age, physical illness, mental health condition, or addiction, then you are considered a Carer.
PPE available to Carers providing personal care
If you are currently providing personal care to someone, this means you are eligible to receive free PPE. Personal care is a broad term used to refer to supporting with personal hygiene and toileting, along with dressing and maintaining personal appearance.
It can cover, but is not limited to:
• Bathing and showering, including bed-baths
• Applying lotions and creams as required
• Dressing and getting ready for bed
• Oral hygiene
• Applying make-up, and hair care
• Support with shaving
• Foot care, especially if you are diabetic need to be extra vigilant with your feet
• Helping you to the toilet, including using a commode or bed pan
• Changing continence pads, along with cleaning intimate areas
• Support moving position in bed, to stretch and prevent bed sores
• Changing or maintaining a stoma or catheter bag, or other form of clinical intervention
What PPE is available?
The Government has made the following items available:
• Face masks
• Hand sanitiser
How to claim the PPE?
You need to be registered with Birmingham Carers Hub. To register with Birmingham Carers Hub, click here or call the hub team on 0333 0069711 (low call rate).
What if I’m already registered with Birmingham Carers Hub?
You can order the PPE* (a maximum of once per week), by completing the form via this link, or if you do not have internet access you can call the PPE Team on 0121 796 2577.
*You will need your carers ID number on hand that can be found on the bottom left-hand corner of the carers card.
If you have any questions or queries, please call the PPE Team on 0121 796 2577 (available Monday – Friday, 9am-4pm).